Thursday, July 8, 2010

Our (most recent) Duh! Moment

Shortly after Sweet Pea was born, Mini Me decided to finally take the dive into daytime potty use.  That was awesome and other than a few minor regressions (the last one being the worst), she was doing great.

Around her birthday, she even stayed dry for several nights.  We thought we were on our way to night time training.  And then, one morning after about 4 days, she was wet.  Then EVERY.SINGLE.MORNING since then she has been wet.  So, following advice from other parents here on the interwebs, I ignored it.  "When she wakes up dry for a couple of weeks, then it's time to ditch the pull up" was the general consensus.  Makes sense-who the hell wants to be changing a wet bed in the middle of the night, right?

Well, here's the deal...my kid is smarter than I am.

I know she is usually awake pretty early because I hear her playing in her room.  I've never really minded, because it's early, I have to get Sweet Pea changed and fed, and all that.  So, whenever she's ready to come out, she does.

The other night, I was tired.  It had been a long day and I was just trying to get through bedtime.  At 5am, I hear Mini Me yelling for us.  At first, I think about ignoring it-it's 5 am for Pete's sake!  But, I thought better of it, because she sounded like she needed something.  I go to her room and she says to me, "Mommy, I need a pull-up so I can pee."

I was confused and asked her why she didn't have a pull up on (thinking she had taken it off during the night) and she said, "you forgot to put one on last night"  Oh.  So, I took her to the potty then back to her room.

The past 2 nights, I haven't put a pull up on her.  And, what do you know?  She comes out of her room sooner, and is dry.  Hmmm... Me thinks the kid was just hanging out in her room and peeing in her pull-up in the morning and really has been "dry at night" for some time. 

Duh!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow....They are certainly smarter than we are. Great Job Mini Me!!!!

Vernice said...

When I was pregnant my sister gave me this advise on potty training: Watch for when they are ready, some are ready early, others later. Biggest point - just put on regular underwear because children hate to feel the pee running down their legs. Might have a few accidents, but then they catch on quick.

Always worked for me.

BTW - if you can find a yard square piece of 100% fabric (or knit one), then felt it in the dryer. Viola - dry pad for the bed and no more wet mattress or sweaty kid.