Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The good, the bad and the gross

It's been ages since I sat down and actually wrote anything of substance.  Partly, it's because we've been so busy.  But, I'll be honest.  Things here are not all puppies and rainbows lately.

Mini Me is going through a really rough phase.  I have been blessed with having two wonderfully easy babies.  Sure Sweet Pea was a little more needy, but still a piece of cake compared to most other babies.  But, holy hell.  Three year olds suck!

I hate this age.  I hate saying that, because there are moments when Mini Me is so funny, so amazing, and so darn adorable.  But, the majority of the time...suckiness.  As much as I wish they could stay little forever, I am SO FREAKIN DONE with 3.   Seriously.

I know part of it is age, and part of it is the addition of Sweet Pea.  Mini Me is getting increasingly horrible with her.  Hitting her, scratching her, pushing her down, and just in general being mean to her.  Obviously, there is a bunch of jealousy.  Mini Me is threatened by Sweet Pea's newly emerging mobility and "big girlness" in eating and playing.  At some point, I am hoping that Mini Me will see Sweet Pea as a playmate and not a threat.  Perhaps not, but it's that thought that gets me through the day.

In the meantime, Mini Me is acting out in other ways too.  Crazy potty regression-last week she pooped in her panties TWICE, and peed numerous times.  WTF?!?!  We had some pee accidents shortly after we moved, but I was expecting that.  Then things got back on track.   Then, POOP!  GROSS! 

Throw in some stubbornness, highly refined stalling tactics, bossiness and the sudden COMPLETE INABILITY UNWILLINGNESS to entertain herself for even a single second and there's not enough alcohol in the state to calm my nerves at the end of some days.

But, lest you think I'm just wallowing in this dark tunnel of crapiness, there are good things about this age.  She loves going out and making new friends.  There are times when she does adhere to rules, even if she needs to be reminded of them frequently, she can do a lot more independently (dishes to the sink, put her shoes on/off, help unload the dishwasher, feed the dog).  And, she can be incredibly funny and sweet, when she wants to be.  She is a performer, through and through.  Give the kid anything that even remotely resembles a microphone and she will sing and dance for you for as long as you cheer and clap at the end of every song.

I've been feeling a little sad about Sweet Pea getting to be such a big girl and have thought about the possibility of having another baby.  I love having little babies.  But, then I look at Mini Me, and I wonder how many more times I can go through the 3 year old phase.  That, my friends, is the most effective form of birth control known to mankind. 

No comments: