Sunday, November 1, 2009

Trick or Treat

Happy (day after) Halloween! I trust that everyone is sufficiently in a sugar coma.

Last night was Mini Me's first night of Trick or Treating. It was quite an experience.

First of all, it was a balmy 65 degrees. Perfect! Yay! No need to worry about coats and mittens. After, it is fall in New England.

At the first house, Mini Me was a little too friendly. She didn't quite understand why we went to someone's house and didn't go inside. In fact, she tried to walk right in a few times, and I needed to explain the idea to her.

After she got that first piece of candy, she caught on pretty quickly. By the time we had gone to the third house, and I prompted her on to the next one, she exclaimed, "I like houses!". She picked up the pace and was practically running from house to house, even up a big hill. My little Abby Cadabby ran into an Elmo. A perfect pairing, I wish I had gotten a picture of it.

Of course, we didn't stay out too long, as she hadn't napped all day and was exhausted. Besides, by 7:45 it was starting to sprinkle, so we decided to head home. Mini Me actually needed to be carried back. She was beat.
We let her have one piece of candy before sending her to bed. Then daddy and I divided up the candy. We made a pile for Mini me and then split the rest between ourselves. What? Don't judge...she doesn't need all that sugar.

Here are some pics of our night:



Picking up the pace..running to the next house.
The stash
PS
I was very proud of Mini Me. Seems as if we are some of the few parents left in town that insist that their kids are polite. I heard very few "thank you's" from the other kids. My kid said 'thank you' to every single person who gave her candy. In fact, I required it if she forgot. Non-negotiable. In fact, there was this pair of older girls (12 or 13) who first of all, pushed in front of Mini Me a couple of times. We were at one house in particular where the gentleman was giving out full size candy bars. Nice, right? Not only did the girls not even bother to say "trick or treat" (again, which I made Mini Me say instead of just grabbing candy when the person opened the door), but they just took the candy and turned around and walked away without saying one word to the man. Then halfway down the driveway, I heard the one girl say, "I like it when they give full size candy bars". Then, would it have killed you to say thank you?!?!?!? The weren't my kids, but if they were I would have made the march right back up to the house. That's not cool at all.

No comments: