Friday, April 2, 2010

Home

We have lived in our current town for 5 years. I have lived in our current state for 8 years.

It has never felt like home.

For the past several years, I have assumed that the only place that would ever feel like "home" was in fact, "home". My home state. And, for years, I have been trying to persuade my better half to move there. Not to my home town, mind you, but the state itself.

We were actually starting the process just before the whole economy came crashing down.

But, I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and that even the most horrible situations will somehow lead you to where you are meant to be and to the people that you are meant to know.

I have found that to be resoundingly true in my life and today it was reaffirmed yet again.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I can get lost on a straight road. Seriously, my lack of navigational skills is astounding. It took me weeks months years to finally stop getting lost after we moved here. And, still, if I don't really pay close attention, I can still easily veer off in the wrong direction. (I still have to think clearly about getting on XYZ South when I need to head north...baffles my mind).

Back to my point: I have only been to our new town a couple of times, and have never driven myself. Over the past 2 days, I have been out & about in our town, and haven't gotten lost once. I know it's ridiculous, but for me it's huge-I feel comfortable in our town. We have made friends already (and we don't even have a single piece of furniture in our house yet!).

While the place we will live for the next year is not our "forever" house, I feel like we belong there.

And, that folks, is the best feeling ever. We're finally going home!